Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Clichéd Explanation For Why People Are Fireworks

Earlier this year I got my first tattoo. It is a quote that reads: “We are like fireworks, rising, shining, and finally scattering and falling. So until that moment comes when we vanish like fireworks, let us sparkle brightly, always..."

Fireworks mean a lot to me. Not only are they involved in some of my greatest childhood memories, like driving down every year to Grandma’s on the Fourth of July to watch the show in Charles City, but they are also my own personal metaphor for all the people I meet.

I have found that certain people have a tendency to EXPLODE into your life, and they are so bright and so beautiful that you can’t help but stare in wonder. Others you see coming for some time, and even if you lose sight of them momentarily, you know they will show themselves again soon. Some of them stay and float gently down, making themselves familiar and comfortable, and some of them vanish just as quickly as they came, leaving nothing but an afterimage burned into your eyes and heart by their brilliance.

In people and fireworks, it all matters about what’s on the inside. Some fireworks come in bright and eye-catching packages, but they are usually only the little ones that pop and fizzle and take up space in the sky. It’s the ones with the plain package that really shine, that soar above all the others and burst, unexpectedly dazzling against the darkness. They light up the whole world and you can’t help but be mesmerized by them for as long as they are there in your sight.

I like to think that we are all fireworks, rising higher and higher until we reach the top and show our brilliance to the waiting crowd, then sparkle gently on our way to the ground, hopefully leaving behind some impression of our beauty on the people who were lucky enough to see us.

I’m not sure when I started to think of people in this way, and I do realize that it’s a little odd to compare humans to dangerous things that streak into the sky and explode. But I do believe that it’s all about making sure that you let your powder burn hot, and that you explode and let all the world see your colors, for as long as you can. And don’t forget to stop and look at the other fireworks exploding around you. They may not be as bright as you, or as beautiful, but their colors are just as important as they sparkle in the dark night sky.

I've got quite a few fireworks in my life right now who are exceptionally good at showing their colors, and I'm trying very hard to remember to sparkle right on back to them. Sometimes I forget, when the dark sky is hidden behind the fog and clouds of work and everyday life, but every once in a while I get a reminder to let myself shine through, and those are the moments when I really feel happiest.

So, running the risk of sounding like a bad "Twilight" reference, sparkle, my friends. Sparkle with all your might.

1 comment:

Zero said...

I think that you do a fine job sparkling. Your light is incredibly bright and attractive.